I love this day! Although I couldn’t find any real evidence that it is an actual national holiday. Maybe it should be. I think peanut butter and jelly is probably a childhood favorite of most people. I still have mine (for breakfast).
So, in celebration of this great day, I thought I would share some fun facts:
- The peanut plant originated in South America
- Americans eat more than 600 million pounds of peanuts (and 700 million pounds of peanut butter) each year
- 96% of people put the peanut butter on their sandwich first (although I wonder how they figured that one out)
- One acre of peanuts will make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches
- In 2002, it was estimated that the average American will eat 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before they graduate from high school
Why not try something different today? Try a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on shortbread instead of regular bread? Yummy!
Check out my recipe for Holiday English Shortbread.