April 25th is World Penquin Day. What a great day to celebrate. This day is celebrated each year to coincide with the annual migration of penguins northward.
Penguins are interesting birds, partially because they don’t fly. However, here are some interesting facts that you may not already know about penguins:
- They are social birds
- They live in large colonies called rookeries
- Penguins communicate through body language
- Their bodies are insulted by a thick layer of blubber
- They don’t drink water, but they do eat snow
- Male penguins take care of the eggs
I found several references to Penguin Day being started in Philadelphia in 2004 but did not find any real confirmation of this information. Regardless of this, penguins deserve their day of recognition! Check out the World Penguin Day site for more information.